Calling all local Watsonville poets ~ Our 2023 Poetry Contest is now open for submissions! We encourage patrons of all age groups to participate in our poetry contest and share their original work. We are holding a poetry contest to celebrate this year's National Poetry Month in April.
This contest is for children, young adults, and adults. There are four divisions for the contest:
• Elementary Students (Grades K-5) • Middle School Students (Grades 6-8) • High School Students (Grades 9-12) • Adults
Deadline for Submission: Sunday, May 14th at 11:59pm.
Voting will take place online via an online form starting Friday, May 19th and run until Friday, June 2nd. Entries can be accessed via Watsonville Public Library’s social media platforms and website.
Winning entries will receive a writing journal and writing utensils.
How to Enter
Enter by submitting one copy of your original poem and your contact information (Name, email, phone, street address - We will need your contact information in order to reach out to you at a later date!) to the library by:
• One poem/entry per person. • Include your contact information with your poem, so we can contact you later if you win.
• We will be selecting one winner from each of the four age divisions. • Winners will be notified via email or phone.
We look forward to reading your poetry!
For questions, please contact Chris Brant via email (above) or 831-768-3407.
Poetry Writing Resources & Inspiration
• Poetry4Kids.com - Children's author Kenn Nesbitt's "poetry playground" is home to poetry lessons and activities, poems to draw inspiration from, and features a rhyming dictionary!
• Writing with Writers - Poetry Writing - Scholastic offers step-by-step workshops created by notable authors Jack Prelutsky, Karla Kuskin, and Jean Marzollo. These free activity guides aim to provide inspiration and guide writers in their poetry writing experiences.
• Poetry Foundation - The Poetry Foundation offers several poetry resources for writers of all ages including educational resources for children, teens, and adults. The website also includes poems and instructional videos that are sure to inspire writers.