FAQs - Flood 2023

Website Button


Notifications for evacuations will come via CodeRed.  You must register to receive notifications at www.scr911.org or text SCR911 to 99411.  For residents needing help signing up or without internet access may call 2-1-1.  Notifications will also be posted on social media and local governmental websites.  Please stay informed!

How do I know what roads are closed?

Please see this link:  https://experience.arcgis.com/experience/09f637a4d84946edbb5aab283766c9de/

What flood zone am I located in?


Is there transportation assistance for seniors or those with disabilities in the event of an evacuation?

Seniors and residents with disabilities may request transportation assistance by calling 831-688-9663. 

Are there shelters available for those who are evacuated?

Santa Cruz County Fairgrounds -  Pets are allowed but must stay inside their owner's vehicle. Livestock pens are available for larger animals.  

Cabrillo College in Aptos - Pets are allowed but must stay inside their owner's vehicle.  

Status of the shelters may be found here:  


Are you experiencing homelessness due to the recent storms? 
Active CalWORKs families may be eligible to receive CalWORKs Homeless Assistance support for up to 16 nights in a hotel. CalWORKs Homeless Assistance funding is limited to once every 12 months, but federally declared disaster exceptions are available if you have become homeless due to the recent storms. To apply for CalWORKs or to find out if you are eligible for CalWORKs Homeless Assistance call 1-888-421-8080. You will have to complete a CW 42 (10/21) Statement of Facts-Homeless Assistance over the phone or in person.

¿Está experimentando la falta de vivienda debido a las tormentas recientes? 
Las familias activas de CalWORKs pueden ser elegibles para recibir apoyo de CalWORKs para personas sin hogar por hasta 16 noches en un hotel. Los fondos de asistencia para personas sin hogar de CalWORKs están limitados a una vez cada 12 meses, pero hay excepciones disponibles por desastre declarado por el gobierno federal si se ha quedado sin hogar debido a las tormentas recientes. Para solicitar CalWORKs o para ver si es elegible para recibir asistencia para personas sin hogar de CalWORKs, llame al 1-888-421-8080. Deberá completar una CW 42 (10/21): Declaración de hechos Asistencia para personas sin hogar por teléfono o en persona.


What can we do to prepare?
• Keep your property’s drainage systems clear
• Develop an emergency/evacuation plan
• Contact and inform relatives/friends about your plan
• Prepare emergency supplies
• Download the Watsonville Police Department App to get notifications

• Food and safety checklist (English, Spanish)
• Power outage safety checklist (English, Spanish)
• Sign up for “Code Red” emergency phone notifications at: 

How do we know if we need to evacuate?
• Please prepare to evacuate. 
• Evacuation notifications will be made through CodeRed, an emergency phone notification system. Residents 
  must register to receive notifications at www.scr911.org
• Zonehaven - https://aware.zonehaven.com/search
• Download the Watsonville Police app for emergency notifications. Make sure to stay weather aware before and during storms. 
• Watch local news or follow authoritative sources on social media, including the National Weather Service.



How can I receive assistance for clean-up efforts?
The Santa Cruz Volunteer Center is taking requests for assistance with clean-up efforts.  You may complete the form requesting assistance here:  https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLScGVr8DGLN_S5vsKPRS-NkbXNJG2mb123Uep1MDRjWcSm5dbQ/viewform

How do I dispose of flood related debris?
The City of Watsonville is running regularly scheduled garbage service.  In addition, those directly impacted by flooding may dispose of water damaged items or debris free of charge at the Waste and Recycling Drop-Off center at 320 Harvest Drive.  Proof of address will be required.  

Residents may also call the Public Works Customer Service line at 831-768-3133 for additional debris disposal assistance.   

What additional programs are available to those impacted by flooding?

Many local community organizations have several programs in place to assist residents impacted by flooding.  Please see additional information here: https://cityofwatsonville.org/DocumentCenter/View/20531/Winter-Flood-Resources---Rev011223

The City of Watsonville is partnering with local non-profits and community based organizations to provide outreach to impacted residents in the upcoming week to distribute information regarding recovery efforts and available resources. 

Residents are encouraged to visit the Santa Cruz County Office of Response, Recovery, and Resilience for additional information: https://www.co.santa-cruz.ca.us/OR3/Emergency.aspx

Do you have any information about filing insurance claims?
Here is a link to a presentation sponsored by Community Bridges addressing insurance:



Who do I call if I am in danger?
If you are in immediate danger, please call 9-1-1.
• For non-emergencies or water issues please call 471-1151



County Road Closure: 

PG&E outage center:

Monitoring rain and water levels:  

Evacuation information:  

County Response, Recovery and Resilience website: 

City of Watsonville Social Media Accounts:


Instagram: @cityofwatsonvillegov

County of Santa Cruz Facebook Page:



Where can I get Sandbags?
Ramsay Park(1301 Main St.) from 8am - 6pm

Is it illegal to take sand from the beach?  

It is generally not advised and there is a state statute that reads:  No person shall destroy, disturb, mutilate, or remove earth, sand, gravel, oil, minerals, rocks, paleontological features, or features of caves except rockhounding may be permitted… (CA Code of Regulations - Sections 4610 through 4610.10.)

Is it illegal to bring the sand back to the beach? 

Please see above.  

Will the city pick up the sand or sand bags later?  

At this point we are asking residents to keep them since there is more rain in the forecast. We will provide more information for disposal as it becomes available.



May I walk on the levee or go take photos? 

For your safety and the safety of our working crews, please stay off the levees bordering the City of Watsonville.  Maintenance crews continue preparing for the next round of heavy rain and potential flooding and visitors to this area will hinder these efforts. Thank you for your cooperation.  



How do I volunteer to help with flood preparation\recovery efforts? 
Volunteers are encouraged to register with the Santa Cruz Volunteer Center by visiting the website below and completing the volunteer interest form. 

Santa Cruz Community Foundation has established a Disaster Relief Fund.  

Donations can be made by visiting  https://www.cfscc.org/.