With predictions of a wet winter, here are some tips and resources to help you and your family prepare and stay safe.
- Keep your property's drainage clear.
- Develop an emergency/evacuation plan.
- Prepare emergency supplies: non-perishable food, water, flashlights, manual can-opener, batteries, battery-operated radio and a first-aid kit.
- Download the Watsonville Police Department App on your cell phone to receive flood notifications. NIXLE will eventually be discontinued.
- Sign up for "Code Red" emergency phone notifications at: http://www.scr911.org/
- Help keep storm drains working - clean leaves & debris off of storm drains with rake or shovel and put in trash.
- Help identify and report clogged storm drains or major flooding in your area. Call customer service (831) 768-3133.
- Sandbag areas where water could enter your home. Sandbags will be available at Fire Station #1 and Home Depot during heavy rains.
- Contract PG&e to shut off your power and natural gas if your property is in danger of flooding.
- Avoid driving. If necessary, avoid low-lying areas.
- Check radio, TV, and Code Red for up to date evacuation routes, shelter locations, and general emergency alerts.
SANDBAG LOCATIONS DURING
THE CITY OF WATSONVILLE
- Fire Station #1 (115 Second St.)
- Home Depot (355 S. Green Valley Rd.
Come prepared to fill your own sandbags.
- Emergency: 911
- Watsonville Emergency Operations: 768-3038
- Santa Cruz County Emergency Services: 458-7150
- American Red Cross: 462-2881
- Watsonville Customer Service: 768-3133
- Santa Cruz County Information Services: 211
- Maintaining Flood Channels and Storm Drains Free From Debris to Prevent Flooding
- increasing Street Sweeping to Prepare Our Streets
- Trained City Staff Ready to Respond
- 50,000 Sandbags and 100 Tons of Sand
- Collaboration with Other Agencies