Although the City does not prohibit boating in the sloughs, it discourages it in order to protect the wetland habitat and its wildlife.
- Over 20 endangered or threatened species live here, and hundreds of species of birds utilize the wetlands as a food source and/or nesting site.
- Migratory water fowl raise their young here and some make floating nests.
- The generally shallow sloughs vary in depth and sections have high aquatic plant density that can create problems for boaters.
- There is very limited access to park and reach the water with your boat that will not trample plant and wildlife habitat.
- The City does not have the resources to assist boaters if anything goes wrong.
Note: For sections of the wetlands on the west side of the highway, the public must obtain permission from the California Department of Fish and Wildlife to enter.