Preparing for Stormy Weather
Preparation is key to staying safe and minimizing impacts in case of a storm. Find out how the City of Watsonville prepares for inclement weather year after year and what you can do to be ready this season.
How the City is Preparing
Our departments coordinate every year to prepare for stormy weather. Below are some of the things our different crews do to stay ready:
- Maintaining flood channels and storm drains free of debris to prevent flooding
- Increasing street sweeping to prepare our streets for rains
- Training staff to respond in case of emergency
- Cleaning storm lines and conducting routine pump maintenance checks
Protect Your Household- How to Prepare
Conditions can change very quickly so it is imperative to take steps and prepare for emergencies ahead of time. These are some steps you can take to prepare your household ahead of difficult weather.
- Keep storm drains and your property’s drainage clear
- Report clogged drains to Customer Service at firstname.lastname@example.org or (831) 768-3133
- Make an emergency/evacuation plan with your family or household
- Prepare emergency supplies:
- Copies of important documents & prescriptions in waterproof containers
- Essential medications
- Water, flashlights, batteries
- First aid kit
- Cash in small bills
- Move and Store valuable items in your home in waterproof containers above the ground and lower level
Obtain and Set Up Sandbags
Limited quantities of sandbags are provided for free to Watsonville residents at the two self-serve locations below:
- Joyce McKenzie Park, 500 Joyce Drive
- Fire Station 1, 115 2nd Street
Get sandbags as soon as you think you may need them — do not wait until the last minute. Watch the video below to see how to properly fill, carry, and set up sandbags around your home.
Find out if you Live in the Special Flood Hazard Area
If you live in a floodplain, your home may be at higher risk of flooding. Find out now if your home is in a Special Flood Hazard Area by contacting our Community Development Department at (831) 768-3050 or stop by their office at 250 Main Street, Monday-Friday 8:00 AM to 4:30 PM. You will need to provide your street address.
- Download the Watsonville Police Department App on your cell phone
(Android & iPhone)
- Sign Up for the County's emergency alert and warning system, Cruz Aware